Constipation is a condition which branches from the digestive system. It is essentially when an individual experiences difficulty passing stools or cannot fully empty their bowels regularly. This generally occurs due to a cause of two possible imbalances within the body.
- Excess-type Constipation – Excessive heat within the colon, therefore presenting a dry environment where stools become stale and difficult to pass through the body.
- Deficiency Constipation – Inadequate amount of fluids/blood within the body, which likely will result in the over expulsion of fluids from food consumed in the body. Following will create dryness and further constipation.
– Lack of fiber
– Dairy products
– Physical inactivity
– Changes in routine
– Certain medications
Foods which should be avoided:
– Products containing baking soda/powder
– Alcohol, tea
– Yeasted breads
– Refined foods (white flour, white sugar, white rice)
Foods to reach for:
– Cabbage, cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potato
– Papaya, coconut, figs
– Bran (derived from oat, wheat, rice)
– Sauerkraut, miso, kefir, rejuvelac