Atherosclerosis and High Blood Cholesterol
Cholesterol is important for the good health of cells in the body. When it is found in abnormally high levels in the blood stream, however, it can contribute to the process of atherosclerosis (or arteriosclerosis), a progressive accumulation of plaque in the arteries that results in a reduced flow of oxygen and nutrients to the vital organs.
Both atherosclerosis and high blood cholesterol are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases, heart attack and stroke.
Signs & Symptoms of Atherosclerosis and High Blood Cholesterol
Both conditions develop gradually, and in our experience do not produce many outward signs at first. However, some people experience:
- Chest pain, heart palpitations
- Fatigue, low energy
- Shortness of breath, especially during physical activity
- Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
- Erectile dysfunction
- Yellow growths on the eyelids, bumps under the skin
None of these symptoms, however, are specific to these conditions, so that regular checkups are important if you are at risk.
Causes of Atherosclerosis and High Blood Cholesterol
To our knowledge, causes and risk factors for high blood cholesterol and atherosclerosis include:
- A diet high in fatty and processed foods
- Lack of exercise
- Smoking and alcohol
- Cavities and dental plaque
- Medical conditions such as high blood pressure and sleep apnea
- Hormonal changes due to age and other causes
How We Treat Atherosclerosis and High Blood Cholesterol
At the Nei Jing center in Jerusalem, we use Traditional Chinese medicine as a safe, effective tool in the treatment and prevention of high blood cholesterol and atherosclerosis.
In order to reduce blood cholesterol and improve lipid and sugar metabolism, we create for each of our patients a unique treatment protocol tailored to their needs, using a combination of:
- Acupuncture and laser acupuncture
- Chinese herbs
- Tuina massage and cupping
- Naturopathic advice for lifestyle and nutrition