Atopic dermatitis (often referred to as eczema), is the most common type of skin inflammation. It is a chronic condition that usually develops in childhood, but may occur at any age and persist into adulthood.
Signs & Symptoms of Atopic Dermatitis
The patients who consult us for atopic dermatitis usually present with symptoms such as:
- Red rashes that flare up periodically
- Open or crusted sores, that sometimes weep clear fluid
- Dry, scaly, cracked skin
- Skin infections
- Occasionally, eye problems
Causes of Atopic Dermatitis
In our experience, the most common triggers for atopic dermatitis include:
- Exposure to allergens and chemical irritants
- Dry weather, dust
- Hormonal changes
- Tobacco smoke
- Food intolerances, introducing new foods to infants
To our knowledge, a family history of the disease, or the presence of asthma or hay fever, increase the chances of developing atopic dermatitis.
How we treat Atopic Dermatitis
In Traditional Chinese medicine, eczema is seen as the result of an imbalance in the body that allows external factors to cause inflammation. Our aim, at the Nei Jing center in Jerusalem, is to correct these underlying imbalances, so that the body naturally heals from symptoms on its own.
After an initial consultation meeting, each of our patients, according to their specific needs, will be able to follow an individualized treatment plan comprising of:
- Acupuncture and laser acupuncture
- Chinese herbs
- Tuina massage and cupping
- Lifestyle and nutritional advice