Candida overgrowth is one of the most common yeast infections that can affect the female genital organs. In small amounts, Candida is found naturally in a healthy human body, but can occasionally multiply, leading to health problems.
Signs & Symptoms
The women we treat for vaginal Candida infections often report symptoms such as:
- Itching and burning
- Pain or discomfort during urination and intercourse
- Local irritation and rashes
- Unusual vaginal discharge, usually thick and clumpy but odorless
If the symptoms you notice are particularly severe or unusual, it is important to consult a medical professional to rule out more serious conditions.
An overgrowth of Candida yeasts in the reproductive organs can often be caused by:
- Local irritation (possible reasons include tampons or insufficient lubrication during sex)
- A reaction to certain soaps or chemicals used in the vaginal region
- Hormonal variations
- Lowered immunity
In our experience, environmental and emotional factors often play an important role in the onset of symptoms as well, especially in the case of recurrent infections.
How We Treat It
At the Nei Jing center of Chinese medicine in Jerusalem, our goal in the treatment of Candida and other yeast infections is to:
- Eliminate the overgrowth of microorganisms,
- Rebalance the vaginal flora,
- Strengthen immunity to prevent recurrence.
In this instance, we have always found acupuncture and Chinese herbs to be particularly effective methods. We often combine them with naturopathic advice on lifestyle and nutrition to help you to quickly achieve complete recovery.