Vaginismus is a condition characterized by involuntary spasms of the pelvic muscles, that may cause severe pain upon vaginal penetration or prevent it completely. Too frequently missed and under-diagnosed, vaginismus can be the cause of embarrassment, frustration, anxiety, and affect the sufferer’s relationship with their sexual partner.
Signs & Symptoms
Women who suffer from vaginismus experience:
- Mild to severe pain when vaginal penetration is attempted
- Pain that can last for a long time afterwards
- An impossibility to have sexual intercourse, or a gynecological exam
- Fear and anxiety at the thought of penetration
- Feelings of shame and guilt
- Occasionally, loss of sexual desire or interest in sex
We have found in our experience that anxiety, stress and sexual trauma can contribute to the apparition of vaginismus. Not every case stems from emotional causes however, and any condition that causes chronic pain in the vulvar region can result in vaginismus, including:
- Bacterial, viral and yeast infections
- Childbirth and menopause
- Hormonal variations (including the use of hormonal contraceptives)
- Skin conditions
- Nerve irritation
How We Treat Vaginismus
At the Nei Jing center of Chinese medicine in Jerusalem, we fully understand that your pain is real and requires appropriate care. For many years, our team of specialists has been treating patients with these symptoms, with great success in many different cases.
During an initial consultation meeting, we will help you to identify the root causes of your symptoms, and build for you an effective, personalized treatment protocol. We will then direct you to the right member of our team, who will provide you with individualized care and guidance, using the type of therapy that will bring you the most benefits.
Methods that we routinely use in our practice include:
- Acupuncture and laser acupuncture
- Chinese herbs
- Tuina massage and cupping
- Naturopathic advice